I accept students ages 6 and above, beginner through advanced. I offer both Suzuki and traditional instruction, depending on the age and level of the student.
I believe that children who have positive musical experiences are more likely to enjoy and participate in music as adolescents and adults. Therefore, my focus with beginners is to provide engaging ways to master the fundamental movements of string playing, develop listening skills, and learn to read, because when you play an instrument well, music is fun. Children need their parents' help to succeed, so I work to give parents the tools they need to assist with their childrens’ practice.
In addition to beginners, I enjoy working with older students who are serious about the viola and want to take their playing to the next level, be it for youth orchestra, college, or beyond. Older students who study with me can expect lessons to include the following:
• Scales and arpeggios in all keys and registers
• Technical studies including Schradiek, Sevcik, Kreutzer, Mazas, etc.
• Level appropriate solo repertoire
• Education of anatomy and body mechanics
• Theoretical and stylistic concepts
I expect all of my students to commit to daily practice, and to make continuous musical growth throughout their studies.
• 10 plus years private teaching experience
• Doctor of Musical Arts degree, Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM)
• Long-Term Suzuki method teacher training (books 1-4), CIM
• Body Mapping Instructor Trainee, Andover Educators
• Ongoing attendance at continuing education workshops
I strive for musical excellence in both my performing and teaching, which I seek to pass on to my students. Contact me to see if there are openings in my studio and to arrange an interview.